It's been quite a while since my last blog, so I thought you all might like to know how it is going and show the production of my new work.
Below shows the progress for work over a period of about 6 weeks.
First the clay is laid out in large slabs, these are left for a couple of day until they are leather hard. I then cut out pieces almost at random, pairing them up and then putting them together with slip (watered down clay).
When they have reach the stage below then are left to dry slowly before firing. Unfortunately the piece in the middle did not survive the firing, this was down to me rushing and not allowing it to dry out completely before putting in the kiln.
The piece at the front just fitted into my kiln, it was interesting to see how much it shrank in firing, about 10%.
The picture below shows how I decided how I has going to paint the piece and the balance of colour. I wanted the green below to almost shine out.
I usually work on several pieces at the same time. This gives me time to think out the final finishes and to change my mind.
Arc (2) H48W85D12 cms
|Crux H72W54D8 cms wall piece|
|Arc (4) H50W40D20 cms|
The third firing was very successful, everything came out as I hoped. Some of the pieces are fired separately and then glued into place.
|Arc(1) H49W69D11 cms|
I had no idea how I was going to make the pieces below, but when I put the components together, I wanted them to appear light & bright.
|Arc (3) H66W40D20 cms|
|Fall D54W26D11 cms|
I do hope you have found this interesting and if you you would like any information, please do not hesitate to get in touch.